Tuesday 8 May 2012

Painting!!

Finally I have reached a point where I need to start painting this thing! I transported the Kijimuna (nicknamed Edney - a mix of two people's names I used as sculpting reference) and set up a painting station in a cordoned-off part of the studio - I had to stay away from people's high-finish painted models if I was spraying silicone around. I also put an extractor behind where I was working and set up the time lapse camera to document the process. I cut a large circular board to rest on top of a turntable so I could spin him round.

I will be predominantly using Guy Louis' FuseFX platinum paint systems to paint this. If there are shades of colour I can't achieve with them I shall make my own paint with bathroom sealant, oil paints and low odour white spirit. Here's my set up:



I'll be using both my airbrushes for different type of spraying - both are capable of fine and large sprays but I prefer them for different thing. The left is a double action, pistol grip GREX Tritium TG and the right is a double action IWATA HP- C Plus. Double action is not really necessary a lot of the time but I find it useful...


This is my baby Iwata NinjaJet compressor - it's so small it doesn't have its own air tank, moisture trap or pressure gauge but it works great and fits in my bag!


FuseFX parts As are in the blue-lidded pot, Part Bs in the compressor box, mixing cups, varying brushes, sponges, IPA, kitchen towel, lighter fluid (naphtha), mixing sticks and a test cast of a previous project I can test paints on.