Thursday 26 April 2012

Seaming

Once I'd repositioned the right arm inside the core (so it fitted in properly) I took the Kijimuna back to my flat to seam it in the evenings (as I had to start a second project for uni during the day). I used the same method as with my previous project - where the excess silicone round the seam is cut down to form a trench. Then silicone of the same pigmentation is used to fill in the trench until the surface is level. Additional thin layers can be added and have texture put into them to match the texture around the seam to disguise it even more.

This is my second experience at seaming, my previous project was a lot smaller and had paper thin seams. Although the seams on the Kijimuna are also paper thin in most places - the damage caused to large surfaces of the silicone casts due to the bonding issue (covered in an earlier post) means I have a lot of repair work to do as well as covering the seam trenches. I only have the evenings to do this but have to get it right as there is no going back after I start painting!

We put our iPods in, I covered his bits with my cup of tea and got down to it...



 A photo of the back after one mix of Platgel had been applied to the pour hole part. Photo on the right shows the back after the split line has been disguised more and the horizontal seam across the shoulder blades have been covered over once...


The last photo is a close up of the back of the left leg - there is a photo on a previous post about demoulding the legs where you can see this area's surface was completely destroyed. It wasn't seaming most of the time as much as it was industrial filling!