Tuesday 10 April 2012

Demoulding the legs

The top two parts of the leg mould slowly eased away from each other and popped off fairly easily. Unfortunately and strangely - the bottom part of the mould has bonded to the silicone just like the arms....!

After noticing how difficult it was getting the arms out - I decided to be as gentle but firm as possible and if that didn't work I would literally cut the mould part into loads of pieces so they were easier to pull off without damaging the surface of the silicone.

I was driven to the latter plan. I ended up dividing the mould into 15 different parts. Each part was a struggle to peel off - the third pic below shows how it felt like I was fighting against a strong glue!! If I could pinpoint the cause of the chemical bond then I could have learned something from this and if it was a mistake I had made then at least I could blame myself but no!






After removing all parts of the mould, I also realised I'd positioned the right arm slightly too close to the body which meant there was a large gap at the shoulder because the right knee was stopping it from going all the way into the hollow box section I'd glassed into the torso core. I'll now have to dremel all that out and reposition it again with bridger etc. Not ideal.